Members, it should shock no one that jl57 enjoys a smorgasbord.
And perhaps foreign companies are being (ahem) contracted for rides for the State Showcase because their representatives speak no English, and cannot deny the existence of this farcical wonderland.
If you're being picky, "Mondays" should be "Monday's," "coastertools" should arguably be capitalized, "World" should not be capitalized, and there should be a space between "Oh!" and "No!" if you insist on having the first exclamation point, which you shouldn't.
Your 11:28 post is very oddly structured, too. Better practice would be to write, "The world may come to an end because I didn't capitalize the word "members" in the second sentence.
Actually hw fan, exclamation points are followed by 2 spaces, not 1. They should be treated just like a period . . . if you're being picky that is. Leave Jack alone!
Well, "a space" is actually consistent with being two spaces -- i.e., he should include space rather than no spaces. And most web editors request one space in modern practice, but, as you can see, I usually go with two. Certainly one would be better than none, I expect you'd agree. But you're right, I wrote it ambiguously.
I'd also encourage you to spell out numbers, certainly small ones like "two" and "one."
And I'd urge Tiffani not to pretend that he knows how to write competently.
Style books vary, but all require numbers at or over 100 to be written as numerals, with numbers smaller than that to be spelled out. Some even spell out anything greater than ten. 500, under any style protocol, should be written as numerals. Hence my reference to "especially small" numbers. Times are never spelled out.
That is indeed one rule followed by some, and so I was incorrect to say that "all" style books require words over 100 to be spelled out. I should have said "most" style books.
As I assume you would concede, "one" and "two" are also single words, and so Aaron's post was incorrect and my advice was sound.
Also: there should be a space between "Little," and "Brown." Barbra Streisand's name is spelled "Barbra," not "Barbara. You should have spaces between "slice," and "dice." "Language" should not be capitalized. I would put a comma after "HW Fan" in your first paragraph and make your first paragraph less of a run-on stentence. Same with your third paragraph.
And her name is Barbra Streisand. The fact that a ticket company got her name wrong isn't surprising, but I'm guessing that her official website got her name right.
And it's "fourteen," not "forteen."
Why not focus on the content? Because when you're asked substantive questions, you avoid or ignore them.
Shouldn't "hw fan" actually be "H.W. Fan" anyway JL? I'm pretty sure when you abbreviate, it's supposed to have dots after each letter and that names are supposed to be capitalized. Hmm.
Don't worry JL. I was talking about H.W. Fan himself not capitalizing or putting dots in his name. I know that your version is much, much more accurate than his, thanks in large part to The Little, Brown Handbook.
30 comments:
Forgive me for sounding ARN&Rish.
But thats their funniest one yet!
Funky, who guesses you'd have to have seen Kindergarden Cop and know who Ron Toomer is to get the gist of the cartoon.
Im still leary on coastertools tho.
They seem a bit evil.
Funky
Jack, Tennessee Tornado is quite good. despite it's 129th possition in polls, Thats not bad considering there are 3000 steel coasters.
CoasterTools however, I agree with your statement, The're forgettable and almost not worth the effort to boycott them!
Funky
I almost get it. Could somebody explain it?
I don't think that Tennessee Tornado is really part of the joke other than it being an Arrow that Toomer didn't work on.
Members, this just in…
jl57’s rank amongst influential coaster enthusiasts…negligible.
But State Showcase ranks number one on the list of “Parks That Will Never Get Built”!
Revel in your dichotomy.
SHUT UP!
And Jack, Tennesse Tornado is pretty good. Take my word for it. I've ridden it.
Funky
Doh! They put a new one up that isn't actually too bad. Look at the one before the Toomer one. It's just stupid.
Aaron
I like the ones that I don't get.
Which means I like pretty much all of them : )
AA
I'm still being very careful about them, though. There's something very evil about them.
AA
AA, They made fun of me and Tina with that OH SNAP cartoon.
Im really careful. As long as they don't make a habit of it. We'll Im still very leary.
Funky
And better rides don't get bought by the U.S. amusement parks...why?
Members, it should shock no one that jl57 enjoys a smorgasbord.
And perhaps foreign companies are being (ahem) contracted for rides for the State Showcase because their representatives speak no English, and cannot deny the existence of this farcical wonderland.
Don't make me open a can :)
I know I would want to come back again and again and again. I'll be buying a season pass even though it's all the way across the country.
Aaron
I've only been lurking here for a little bit, but I'm impressed by this jl57 person. He's more committed to his world than I am to reality.
Harold
I like being made fun of, especially when it involved Flyers, er, Phlyers!
SNAP!
The coastertools are the BOMB!
I know I was depressed. :-(
Taking this a little to serious are we Jack?
Funky
If you're being picky, "Mondays" should be "Monday's," "coastertools" should arguably be capitalized, "World" should not be capitalized, and there should be a space between "Oh!" and "No!" if you insist on having the first exclamation point, which you shouldn't.
Your 11:28 post is very oddly structured, too. Better practice would be to write, "The world may come to an end because I didn't capitalize the word "members" in the second sentence.
Actually hw fan, exclamation points are followed by 2 spaces, not 1. They should be treated just like a period . . . if you're being picky that is. Leave Jack alone!
Aaron
Well, "a space" is actually consistent with being two spaces -- i.e., he should include space rather than no spaces. And most web editors request one space in modern practice, but, as you can see, I usually go with two. Certainly one would be better than none, I expect you'd agree. But you're right, I wrote it ambiguously.
I'd also encourage you to spell out numbers, certainly small ones like "two" and "one."
And I'd urge Tiffani not to pretend that he knows how to write competently.
^he?
Just wondering if that's a typo, or intentional...
I would encourage you to type out numbers as well HW Fan. For example:
"eleven hours, twenty-eight minutes after midnight"
as opposed to "11:28"
Isn't the English language fun?!
Style books vary, but all require numbers at or over 100 to be written as numerals, with numbers smaller than that to be spelled out. Some even spell out anything greater than ten. 500, under any style protocol, should be written as numerals. Hence my reference to "especially small" numbers. Times are never spelled out.
That is indeed one rule followed by some, and so I was incorrect to say that "all" style books require words over 100 to be spelled out. I should have said "most" style books.
As I assume you would concede, "one" and "two" are also single words, and so Aaron's post was incorrect and my advice was sound.
Also: there should be a space between "Little," and "Brown." Barbra Streisand's name is spelled "Barbra," not "Barbara. You should have spaces between "slice," and "dice." "Language" should not be capitalized. I would put a comma after "HW Fan" in your first paragraph and make your first paragraph less of a run-on stentence. Same with your third paragraph.
And I typed quickly and spelled "sentence" wrong and failed to have a closing quote on "Barbara."
300 million.
And her name is Barbra Streisand. The fact that a ticket company got her name wrong isn't surprising, but I'm guessing that her official website got her name right.
And it's "fourteen," not "forteen."
Why not focus on the content? Because when you're asked substantive questions, you avoid or ignore them.
Shouldn't "hw fan" actually be "H.W. Fan" anyway JL? I'm pretty sure when you abbreviate, it's supposed to have dots after each letter and that names are supposed to be capitalized. Hmm.
Aaron
Don't worry JL. I was talking about H.W. Fan himself not capitalizing or putting dots in his name. I know that your version is much, much more accurate than his, thanks in large part to The Little, Brown Handbook.
Aaron
Post a Comment